Please read this document carefully together with your schedule of insurance to make sure you understand the cover including conditions and exclusions.
When you purchased this insurance you selected the appropriate level of cover(s) that most suit your needs.
We have not provided you with any advice on the suitability of this insurance cover to meet your needs.
This policy may be cancelled at any time and please refer to cancellation provisions contained in these Insurance terms and conditions.
mobilephoneinsurancediect is a trading style of Pier Insurance Managed Services Limited
phone | 01702 568070
email | firstname.lastname@example.org
claim | email@example.com
who provides your insurance
This insurance is arranged by Pier Insurance Managed Services Ltd & underwritten by UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ.
Pier Insurance Managed Services Ltd and UK General Insurance Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Details about the extent of their regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority are available on request.
your device insurance cover
In return for the payment of your premium we will provide cover to repair or replace your device during the period of cover and for the cover(s) specified in your Schedule of Insurance and subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions shown below or as amended in writing by us.
The full annual premium, for 12 months cover, can be paid or you may make monthly payments as specified in your Schedule of Insurance.
Throughout your policy wherever words and phrases appear in bold they are defined as below.
accessories shall mean items such as but not limited to, chargers, protective cases, headphones and hands free devices but excludes SIM cards and wearables. Evidence of ownership for accessories will need to be provided when you are making a claim
accidental damage shall mean unintentional damage caused to your device including broken screens, which makes the use of the device unworkable
airtime abuse shall mean airtime charges incurred by unknown persons following the theft of your device
computer virus shall mean a set of corrupting, harmful, or otherwise unauthorised instructions or code, whether these have been introduced maliciously or otherwise, and multiply themselves through a computer system or network of whatsoever nature
cosmetic damage shall mean non-structural damage that does not affect the functionality or operation of the device including but not limited to scratches dents and marks caused by normal wear and tear and/or general usage
device means the item(s) insured by us and purchased and owned by you and in full working order when you purchased this insurance as detailed in your schedule of insurance
device age limit means the maximum age that applies to your device at the time of policy inception, or added to an existing policy, to be eligible for insurance. The age of the device is defined by the purchase date. Please be aware that your claim will be invalidated if the age of the device exceeds the age limit at the time of policy inception.
electronic data shall mean facts, concepts and information stored to form useable data for communications, interpretations, or processing by electronic or electromechanical data processing or other electronically controlled hardware, software and other coded instructions for the processing and manipulation of data, or the direction and manipulation of such hardware
excess means the amount you pay towards each claim
liquid damage means unintentional damage caused to your device as a result of coming into contact with a liquid
loss means that you are unable to account for your device whereabouts and are permanently deprived of its use after reasonable precautions have been taken to protect it and it has not been left unattended
proof of purchase means an original receipt and any other documentation required to prove your device was purchased from a UK VAT registered company and that it is owned by you – including the date of purchase, make, model, serial and IMEI number of your device, where applicable
mechanical breakdown shall mean your device being inoperable due to a sudden and unforeseen fault as a result of the failure of internal electronic or mechanical components or defects when out of the manufacturer’s warranty period
reasonable precautions shall mean all measures that would be deemed appropriate to expect a person to take in the circumstances to prevent loss, accidental damage or theft of your device, for example: having your device in a suitable case, ensuring all standard security measures including PIN and Passwords are utilised and are set to a number other than default or sequential/multiple characters; having your device with you whilst playing sport or near open water.
terrorism shall mean any act of any person or organisation involving causing or threatening harm or putting the public or any section of the public in fear if it is likely that the purpose is of a political, religious, ideological (of an intellectual or rational nature) or similar nature
theft means the unauthorised dishonest appropriation or attempted appropriation of your device specified on your insurance schedule, by another person with the intention of permanently depriving you of it
unattended means where your device has been left unattended and reasonable precautions have not been taken and that the device is not within your sight at all times and/or out of your arms-length reach
we, us, our shall mean Pier Insurance Managed Services Limited
you, your shall mean the private individual or company detailed on the policy schedule
the levels of cover for your policy
The policy covers your device as purchased by you and identified in your schedule of insurance for;
- Bronze (this policy covers You against mechanical breakdown, accidental damage and liquid damage)
- Silver (this policy cover You against mechanical breakdown, accidental damage, liquid damage and theft)
- Gold (this policy cover You against mechanical breakdown, accidental damage, liquid damage, theft and loss)
The policy covers your device as purchased by you and identified in your schedule of insurance for
If your device is accidentally damaged we will repair or replace it if unrepairable, subject to your policy terms and conditions
If your device develops a fault outside of the manufacturer’s warranty period we will repair or replace it, subject to your policy terms and conditions
If purchasing an annual term policy your device is covered during any one calendar year anywhere in the world. If purchasing a recurring monthly policy your device is covered whilst your policy is valid
If your device is stolen we will replace it subject to your policy terms and conditions. You will find details of the cover purchased in your schedule of insurance
If you lose your device we will replace it subject to your policy terms and conditions. You will find details of the cover purchased in your schedule of insurance
If your device is accidentally damaged when coming into contact with any liquid we will repair or replace it if unrepairable, subject to your policy terms and conditions. You will find details of the cover purchased in your schedule of insurance
If your claim for your gadget is approved we will replace any accessories that were accidentally lost, stolen or damaged at the same time as your gadget up to a maximum of £150. If we replace your mobile phone with a different make or model and this means that you can no longer use your existing accessories we will replace them too, up to a maximum of £300
airtime abuse (automatically included in theft cover)
If your device is stolen we will cover your airtime charges incurred up to a value of £10,000 and subject to your policy terms and conditions. You will find details of the cover purchased in your schedule of insurance
excess (what you pay)
Accidental Damage and Breakdown
|Liquid Damage||Theft Claims||Loss Claims|
Apple iPhone X
Apple iPhone 8/8+
All other Devices
what is not covered
applying to all sections of the policy, we will not pay for;
- any claim notified where outstanding referrals exist and validation proof has not been supplied
- the policy excess
- any claim where all reasonable precautions have not been taken
- any claim where the circumstances cannot be clearly identified i.e. where you are unable to confirm the date and time of the occurrence
- any claim made, or any event causing the claim to be made, that occurs within the first 14 days of the inception date of your policy
- any claim where proof of usage cannot be provided or evidenced and must show the IMEI of the device on cover
- the cost of replacing any stored data including but not limited to tunes, songs, personalised ring tones, pictures, films, graphics, downloaded material or software whether arising as a result of a claim paid by this Insurance or otherwise
- theft or loss of the device where you have not notified your network provider and blacklisted it within 24 hours of discovery of loss or theft
- theft or loss of the device from any mode of public transport whilst left unattended
- theft or loss of the device left unattended when it is away from your home
- theft or loss of the device not reported to the police within 48 hours and where you have not obtained valid crime reference number
- any claim presented under loss as an alternative to an unsuccessful theft claim
- repairs carried out by third party repair centres not authorised or agreed for use by us
- correction of devices where inadequate repairs have been carried out by third party repair centres
- cosmetic damage that does not affect the functionality or operation of your device
- any amount recoverable under any guarantee warranty or other insurance
- wear and tear or gradual deterioration of performance of your device
- Any consequence, howsoever caused, including but not limited to computer virus in electronic data being lost, destroyed, distorted, altered, or otherwise corrupted
- liability of any nature arising from ownership or use of the device including any illness or injury resulting from it
- the cost of routine inspection service adjustment or cleaning or any damage caused to the device during these processes
- repair or replacement arising as a result of negligent use wilful abuse or misuse
In the event of a claim you must
- 1. advise the police within 48 hours if there has been theft or vandalism and obtain a crime reference number
- 2. advise us by telephone as soon as possible on the claims hotline number 01702 568070 or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org. A downloadable version of Our claim form may also be found at www.mobilephoneinsurancedirect.com/claim
- provide at your own expense a fully completed claim form and all details and evidence as may be reasonably required within 30 days of receipt. We will not proceed with your claim until all required information has been supplied. A downloadable version of Our Claim forms can also be found at www.mobilephoneinsurance.com/claims and must be submitted together with your proof of purchase which must include date of purchase, serial / IMEI number of the device and be in your name. Additional proof of usage may be requested which must come directly from your Network Provider and show the IMEI of the device detailed on your schedule of cover.
- in the event of a claim you must be able to provide proof of usage from your Network that confirms your device has been in use since policy inception and up to the event giving rise to your claim
- in the event of loss or theft you must notify the appropriate air time provider within 24 hours of discovery and blacklist your handset, or mobile network enabled device.
We will process your claim under the terms and conditions of the policy based on the first reason notified to us. If your claim is not covered and you change the reason we consider this fraud and as such will be notified to the appropriate agency.
duration of insurance
If you have purchased an annual policy it will last for a period of 12 months provided you have paid your premium. If you have purchased a monthly policy it will last for a period of one month and then continue for further monthly periods provided you continue to pay your monthly premiums when due.
automatic renewal of your policy
For policies purchased with a 12 month term we will contact you approximately 14 days before your renewal date and offer to renew your policy. If we do not hear from you we will automatically renew your policy to make sure you have continuous cover.
For policies purchased with a monthly term we will automatically renew your policy each month unless you advise us otherwise.
If we need to make any changes to your policy cover or to the price of your insurance, we will provide you with at least 30 days written notice of the change which will be sent to your email address provided by you at the time of purchase of the policy, or to your last known address where there is an unsuccessful email submission.
Should you be unhappy with any proposed change being made to your policy, you will have the right to cancel your cover in accordance with this policy wording.
conditions and limitations
- this cover provides unlimited replacements and repairs per device during each 12 month calendar period of your policy
- details of any replacement of the device (IMEI/serial number) must be advised to us with proof of purchase in writing or by e-mail to us (email@example.com)
- the device age limit must be less than thirty six months old at policy inception and supported with a valid proof of purchase from a UK VAT registered company
- second hand or used devices cannot be covered under this policy, regardless of where they have been purchased
- cover under this policy is subject to the payment of the premium by direct debit, credit card or PayPal and premiums being up to date other than during the cooling off period
- you must be at least 18 years of age at the time of policy inception and a UK resident
- this policy will be voidable in the event of fraud non-disclosure or alteration of risk.
- any claim which would be covered under any other device insurance policy
- if we replace your device the damaged item becomes ours. If it is returned or found you must notify us and send it to us if we ask you to
- all other costs are specifically excluded that are directly or indirectly caused by the event which led to your claim unless specifically stated in this policy unless relating to airtime abuse for your device up to a maximum of £10,000
cooling off period
You may cancel this policy within 14 days of receiving it by contacting us at the address shown in this policy. Provided no claim has been made a full refund of premium paid by you will be given
cancellation of your policy
If you decide that for any reason, this Policy does not meet your insurance needs then please return it to us within 14 days from the day of purchase or the day on which you receive your policy documentation, whichever is the later. On the condition that no claims have been made or are pending, we will then refund your premium in full.
If you wish to cancel Your Policy after 14 days, you will be entitled to a pro- rata return of premium. OR Thereafter you may cancel the insurance cover at any time by informing us however no refund of premium will be payable. Please pass through your cancellation request to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively please complete the required details at www.mobilephoneinsurancedirect.com/cancellations.
We shall not be bound to accept renewal of any insurance and may at any time cancel any insurance document by giving 14 days notice in writing where there is a valid reason for doing so. A cancellation letter will be sent to you at your last known address. Valid reasons may include but are not limited to:
- a) Where we reasonably suspect fraud
- b) Non-payment of premium
- c) Threatening and abusive behaviour
- d) Non-compliance with policy terms and conditions
- e) You have not taken reasonable care to provide complete and accurate answers to the questions we
Where our investigations provide evidence of fraud or a serious non-disclosure, we may cancel the policy immediately and backdate the cancellation to the date of the fraud or the date when you provided us with incomplete or inaccurate information, which may result in your policy being cancelled from the date you originally took it out.
If we cancel the policy and/or any additional covers you will receive a refund of any premiums you have paid for the cancelled cover, less a proportionate deduction for the time we have provided cover, unless the reason for cancellation is fraud and/or we are entitled to keep the premium under the Consumer Insurances (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012.
You must not act in a fraudulent way. If you or anyone acting for you:
- fails to reveal or hides a fact likely to influence whether we accept your proposal, your renewal, or any adjustment to your policy;
- fails to reveal or hides a fact likely to influence the cover we provide;
- makes a statement to us or anyone acting on our behalf, knowing the statement to be false;
- sends us or anyone acting on our behalf a document, knowing the document to be forged or false;
- makes a claim under the policy, knowing the claim to be false or fraudulent in any way; or
- makes a claim for any loss or damage you caused deliberately or with your knowledge.
If your claim is in any way dishonest or exaggerated, we will not pay any benefit under this policy or return any premium to you and we may cancel your policy immediately and backdate the cancellation to the date of the fraudulent claim. We may also take legal action against you and inform the appropriate authorities.
We also reserve the right to provide your details to fraud prevention agencies as well as Law enforcement agencies as appropriate. In the interest of our customers we are a member of the Telecommunications UK Fraud Forum and validate all claims against Police, Mobile Operators and other UK monitoring systems through various claims validation platforms which are then further validated by recyclers operating under the Mobile Phone Recyclers Charter.
This policy is not a replacement as new policy and refurbished items may be used. If your device cannot be replaced with an identical device of the same age and condition we will replace it with a comparable model or the equivalent value taking into account the age and condition of the original device. Please note that it may not always be possible to replace your device with the same colour although we will try wherever possible.
consumer insurer act
You are required by the provisions of the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 to take care to:
- supply accurate and complete answers to all the questions we or the administrator may ask as part of your application for cover under the policy
- to make sure that all information supplied as part of your application for cover is true and correct
- tell us of any changes to the answers you have given as soon as possible.
You must take reasonable care to provide complete and accurate answers to the questions we ask when you take out, make changes to and renew your policy. If any information you provide is not complete and accurate, this may mean your policy is invalid and that it does not operate in the event of a claim or we may not pay any claim in full.
territorial limits of policy
Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, The Channel Islands or the Republic of Ireland and unlimited cover during any one calendar year elsewhere in the World.
Great Lakes Insurance SE, is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme, if they cannot meet their obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit. You can get more information about compensation scheme arrangements from the FSCS or visit www.fscs.org.uk.
It is our intention to give you the best possible service but if you do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim you should in the first instance contact the Scheme Administrator.
The contact details are
New Garrison Road
Tel 01702 568070
Please ensure your policy number is quoted in all correspondence to assist a quick and efficient response.
If your complaint cannot be resolved by the end of the next working day, the
Scheme Administrator will pass it to
The Customer Relations Manager
UK General Insurance Limited
Old Mill Business Park
Gibraltar Island Road
tel 0845 2182685
If it is not possible to reach an agreement, you have the right to make an appeal to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This also applies if you are insured in a business capacity and have an annual turnover of less than £2 million and fewer than ten staff. You may contact the Financial Ombudsman Service at;
Financial Ombudsman Service
Harbour Exchange Square
Tel: 0300 123 9 123
The above complaints procedure is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.
law applicable to the contract
Unless some other law is agreed in writing, this policy is governed by English law. If there is a dispute, it will only be dealt with in the courts of England or of the country within the United Kingdom in which your main residence is situated.
Please note that any information provided to us will be processed by us and our agents in compliance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, for the purpose of providing insurance and handling claims, if any, which may necessitate providing such information to third parties. We may also send the information in confidence for process to other companies acting on their instructions including those located outside the European Economic Area.
It is important that the data you have supplied is kept up to date you should therefore notify us promptly of any changes. You are entitled upon payment of an administration fee (currently £10) to inspect the personal data which we are holding about you. If you wish to make such an inspection you should contact
New Garrison Road
We may respond to enquiries by the police concerning your policy in the normal course of their investigations. Where it is necessary to administer your policy effectively or to protect your interests we may disclose the data you have supplied to other third parties such as solicitors loss adjusters motor garages engineers repairers replacement companies other insurers etc
We may exchange information with third parties for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction we may transfer our bases containing your personal information if we sell our business or part of it.
statement of demands and needs
This product meets the demands and needs of those who wish to insure their device against accidental damage, mechanical breakdown, liquid damage, loss, and theft including airtime abuse. We have not provided you with advice on this insurance cover.